Tuesday 22 April 2014

News Show Recording (3).

During Stephanie, Chloe and Lesley’s recording of a news show, I was a runner, and so for the majority of the lesson, I was wandering around the studio asking anybody if they needed any help. I taped wires to the floor, helped move some of the set around, got wires connected and so on and so forth.

However, mid-way through the show, the production team appeared to be having many problems with their VT clips not working, for example, and seemed to be getting stressed out by this which was completely understandable. To try and help them by taking a problem off their minds, I offered to set up the auto cue with their script for them as I knew how to do it from the previous week. They accepted this offer, gave me a USB stick with their script on it and I transferred it to the laptop for the auto cue. I also edited it to make it look easier for the presenters to read it on (by removing large cues for the vision mixer, and making it clearer who was reading what lines, for example.)

The only real issue with the auto cue that day was that for some reason, parts of the script was cut off by the auto cues and I had to manually edit the entire script again so that the lines were only three quarters of the way across the screen as Paul did not seem to know any other fix for it. It took quite a while to do, but because Stephanie was attempting to get the VT clips working for the majority of the lesson, it gave me just enough time to do so.

During the rehearsals and the final recording, I continued to run the auto cue for the presenters, as I was able to just about understand the script when it was mirrored on the laptop, and so I knew where the presenters were through it, and how fast to scroll. Although the VT clips were not working at all, I think that the news show was pretty good with the stories that they chose to cover, and would have been even better if the VT clips were working. However, I believe that Paul stated that they could re-film the show in a spare hour or so, which means that they would be able to get a recording that included their working VTs.

No comments:

Post a Comment