Thursday 20 March 2014

News Programme Recording (1).

In today's lesson it was Maddie, Dee and Joe's group's turn to record their news show, and so they had the entire three hours to set up, rehearse and record the news programme. I was a camera operator in this group, on camera one, and so I knew where to set up and what to do during the news show, although they decided to change a few things at last second.

The camera operators were given a script to follow with camera directions on it, so at the beginning, they asked me to zoom in on Steff as she was talking, stay a close up of Steff for a while before returning to a wide shot of both Steff and Chris. This then changed half way through because the other members of the production group in the vision mixing room decided that they didn't like the way it looked, and also thought that the camera had been moved because they could see part of the black curtain in the shot. The camera hadn't been adjusted, however, so I spoke to Dee and we both agreed to simply move the camera to the left slightly so that the camera wasn't quite so far to one side, and therefore the curtain wasn't in shot. This worked out better, because even though it wasn't at quite an angle, it still worked.

I was also told half way through the second rehearsal that they were adjusting what they wanted me to do during the run through, and that they also wanted close ups of Chris during it, and not just Steff. They gave me an updated script with the new camera shots on it, and I followed it up until the point when they wanted me to cut from a close up shot of Chris, to a close up shot of Steff which was impossible to do during the few seconds that they stopped talking for, and so I told this to Dee. She agreed with my suggestion to simply leave it at a wide shot of the both of them during that part of the show, and then go back to close ups afterward that.

The only real trouble I had was that if I wanted to adjust the camera up/down (like I had to when changing from a close up shot of one of them to a wide shot of the two) the camera squeaked really loudly, and so I had to wait until a VT clip was playing to do this, so that the microphones wouldn't pick the noise up.

The auto cues were also finally set up, so the group used them. This meant that the presenters could look at the camera more and read from the auto cues instead of having to keep looking down at the paper script in front of them.

During the final recording of the show, I think things ran very smoothly for the group from what I saw on the studio floor. I obviously haven't seen the full recording, but there was no huge issues from what I could see, and I think things went extremely well for them.


We then had to choose who would be recording next week after packing away. It was our group that was chosen, so we have to work on the issues we had during our last run through and try to sort them before next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment