Friday 16 May 2014

Budgeting For "Hope Dies Last".

Because now I know more or less what I am going to film and where, this has allowed me to work out my budget for the film.

I am planning to film in Kelvedon Hatch, which has a student rate of £65 for three hours, plus £7 per person. Because of the amount of cast and crew I am expecting to have, this is turning out to be the most expensive part of my project.

I need four main actors, as well as at least four extras, so that is £56 alone. On top of that, I will need to pay for the crew members. I'm planning to obviously pay for me, one or two others to help with moving/setting up, and someone to film behind the scenes for the project. That is another £28, which means that filming at Kelvedon Hatch is going to cost us £149 for three hours. Hopefully, I will be able to get the filming done within that time, but if not, I'll need to bring another £65 in case I need to hire out the location for another three hours on top of that.

When it comes to costumes and props, I'm planning to spend as little as possible. For the majority of the time, the actors and extras will be able to wear what they want within some boundaries when they are playing the parts of the rebels. When they are playing the parts of the bad guys, however, I'm planning to have them wear masks so that they are all indistinguishable from each other. I've found some reasonably cheap masks here on Ebay, which cost £1.75 each, plus £1.99 for postage and packaging. If I plan to get five of these (four, meaning there's one for each of the extras, plus one incase it gets damaged/broken) which will cost me £12.74 in total. That brings the overall budget up to £157.79. For the rest of the bad guy costumes, I plan to have them as cheap as possible, and maybe even hire out the military costumes that are on display in the bunker for hopefully no fee at all. I will have to double check this before the day of filming, however.

I also need a number of props, which includes a pair of handcuffs for the kidnapped daughter. I found a cheap pair of them here on Ebay for £1.35, with free postage and packaging. That brings the overall budget up to £159.14. I will also need some decommissioned guns, or even airsofting guns. I am unsure whether or not I can borrow the old, decommissioned guns from within the bunker, but I am going to speak to them about it when I visit them next, before the filming. If not, I could probably borrow some airsofting guns from friends who I know own them.

I will be providing transport for the actors/extras, and have a friend who has an eight seater car and is willing to help us for free. That, plus my car which seats five should hopefully be able to transport all of the actors, extras, crew and equipment up to the location and back.

I won't be able to provide food and drink for the cast and crew because of the amount of money I have already spent on this project. I am going to speak to them beforehand, however, and advise them to bring their own food and drink. There is a reasonably cheap cafe on site, however, in case they wish to buy their own things. We should hopefully not be there for an extremely long amount of time though, so I'm hoping that people won't get too hungry.

The last thing is hotels. Because I'm not planning on staying at the location overnight - and in fact, hopefully not for longer than three hours - I will not need to spend money out on a hotel for the cast and crew to stay in.

This brings my overall budget to £159.14. I have set up a Kickstarter project for £130.00 which would really help a great deal with the cost of things, but so far there has been no donations. This may change at a later date, however, and would bring the total budget down by far, and if this was the case, I would be able to pay for food and drinks for the cast and crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment