Thursday 29 May 2014

Job Applications and My LinkedIn Profile.

I was asked to find out three job roles that I would be interested in applying for, and so, after looking around online, I came across three that managed to catch my interest.


One of these jobs were a promotion film director for a new marketing agency.

The company already has an actor in mind to star for it, and know what they want this actor to say and do within the short video promotion. However, they are unsure with what locations to use, but know that they want three or four of these locations, and they want it to be set in and around central London, so they want a director to assist with this. They also want the director to portray the right tone and narrative for the short film, but they already have a producer, camera operator and sound operator hired and ready to work.

They need it to be filmed soon, so they are looking for the director to work quickly to help them to complete the pre-production work for the film, and so they can get it shot and edited ASAP. It is a paid job, but not permanent - just for the length of time needed to complete the production.

This job interests me as I would love to be a director at some point in my career, and starting off with smaller films would be a good way to reach that goal. I'd need to have good communication skills if I were to do this job, as I will need to communicate with both the actor, and other members of the crew to make sure we are all trying to reach the same final outcome. I would also need to have confidence, an understanding of the time restrictions to film, experience with location scouting, risk assessments and location recces. Previous experience would probably be best with a job like this, but because I don't have that, and it's up in London which I currently would struggle to get to, this job would be hard for me to apply for.

The application process, however, will involve having to submit a CV and a resumé, so it's just the same as applying for normal, everyday jobs. I would also add in a film reel of work I have previously created, or a video CV too, but that's the general idea for an application for this job.


The second job I came across was a online and offline editor for small, non-profit organisation.

It's a low paid job, with only a compete pay of £600 in total. The job will involve working closely with a director for 5/6 working days over two weeks. To do this job, I would need to be able to edit the grade and complete both an online and offline final edit of the project, but it's something I would be interested in doing because I have had experience with editing for a while now, and I wouldn't mind doing it as a job - even if it is low paid.

I won't be able to do this, however, because I would not be able to get time off my permanent job, and this one will only be for two weeks - afterwards, they will no longer need me to work for them. I will also need to get up to London, which I can't afford to do, and would be difficult to do every day so I would need to stay in the city for a little while.

The application process involves emailing the company for more information, and presumably giving them examples of previous work with a CV/resumé. There is not much information about this, however, and it simply states to email them at their address.


The third, and final job that I came across that I would be interested in applying for is a camera operator/editor for a small media company.

At the moment, it's a part time basis, but it could easily become a full time job after a short while, and it is also fully paid - with £65 being paid per day. They produce corporate documentaries, short films and podcasts, but are looking to branch out and extend their range of productions which are broadcast on Sky's digital network.

To do this job, I'd need to be able to both operate camera and edit videos, which I am able to do. I wouldn't be able to apply for this job because I would have to be completely committed to the company, and continue to work for them as they grow and develop. This would be difficult for me to work around college and my current job, and I feel as though I would need previous experience with working in a real company before rather than having just done college projects.

To apply for this job, I would need to submit a CV and a resumé, just like the first job I found, but once again I would include previous work that I have helped to create.


Also, my LinkedIn profile can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment